Unit one focuses on the philosophies, documents, and events surrounding the establishment of the Constitution. It includes comparative documentary analysis focusing on federalism, anti-federalists, and the roots of the democratic ideals in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. It was a document that came out of desires to reform the Articles of Confederation, which led to a central government so weak that it could not effectively govern, as demonstrated by Shay's Rebellion.
- Civics101 Podcast - Federalist vs. Antifederalist - More episodes available at their Civics101 Megaphone page
- Civics101 Podcast - Articles of Confederation
- Articles of Confederation Review Game (a PowerPoint)
- KhanAcademy - Challenges of the Articles of Confederation
- USHistory.org - Brief Review - Independence & Articles of Confederation
- History.com - Checks and Balances
- KhanAcademy - Relationship Between States and Federal Government